A couple of weeks ago I got to be part of a great act of kindness; a renewing of an old picture and a reliving of memories. You see my Grandparents are a part of an old neighborhood. Years ago the neighbors would get together to celebrate many occasions, one of which was New Years. One of the guys from the neighborhood was a great illustrator and drew up a picture of "New Years 1962" and gave it to my Grandparents. This great illustration has been given a new life; taken from it's plastic bag, matted and framed and now hangs prominently in my Grandparents den. The idea to get it framed came from one of my brothers and then my dad took the idea and ran with it. To witness my Grandparents delight in this gift and to see them reliving the memories of yesteryear was so moving!! Here they are, 91 years old, married for 60+ years, and just recently in and out of the hospital for three months...and then before my eyes taken back 40 years. I will never forget the joy they emitted...
My 4 year old comes up with her own hairstyles, one braid and one pigtail is something she chooses often. So, one day we went to ecfe and she had one pigtail and one braid and two different shoes. I don't try to talk her out of these things. I make sure she is wearing appropriate clothing but beyond that, it's pretty much open. When we got to ecfe, some other mothers were asking if it was opposite day and giggling . My 4 year old, kind of shyly hugged me and I just said "this is just her style." And it is. I want her to feel proud of who she is and not feel like she has to fit a mold. I realize it's hard for us, me included, to accept different without reason. There must be a reason her shoes don't match, not that it was a conscious choice. This is filtered into so much of what we accept as a society. As for now, my daughter payed no real attention to the questioning. My hop...
Matt and I have been together nearly nine years and married for two. We've always known that we wanted to have a family, actually a big family. In June 2011, we will be welcoming our first baby. Ah, a sweet little June Bug. After going through a miscarriage in March to the ups and downs of trying to get pregnant again to hearing the baby's heartbeat for the first time, we feel truly blessed!!
I LOOOOOOOVe this shot!!!!
ReplyDeleteperfect! When I was was little, I used to call dandelions "wish makers"... there is something magical about them for sure!
ReplyDeleteThis is BEAUTIFUL!
ReplyDelete